This week, I’ll be sharing my Best of 2012 lists. Today, it’s my countdown of musical TV moments during the calendar year, including a trio of songs in series about making music (from Broadway to high school and Nashville) to a pair of unexpected gems in the leading drama and comedy series.
1. Smash (NBC), Pilot (Feb. 6), “Let Me Be Your Star,” written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, sung by Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty
2. Mad Men (AMC), A Little Kiss (Mar. 25), “Zou Bisou Bisou,” written by Bill Shepard, Alan Tew, and Michel Rivgauche, sung by Jessica Paré
3. Glee (Fox), Break Up (Oct. 4), “Teenage Dream,” written by Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Benjamin Levin, and Bonnie McKee, sung by Darren Criss
4. Nashville (ABC), Pilot (Oct. 10), “If I Didn’t Know Any Better,” written by John Paul White and Arum Rae, sung by Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen
5. 30 Rock (NBC), My Whole Life Is Thunder (Dec. 6), “Secret Plan,” sung by Jane Krakowski
Next, I’ll count down my Top 10 Musical Films.